(c) 2016 Mount Merrion Historical Society
Mount Merrion Historical Society
OFFICERS  2017-2018

Chairperson:           Des Smyth
Hon Secretary:        Peter Walsh
Hon Treasurer:        Brendan McManus
us
About Us.......

Mount Merrion Historical Society was founded in 1985. The Society was quickly into action and put together a programme for the season 1985-86 commencing in October with a film by Paddy Kilroy "A Parish Is Born". In the months that followed there were talks on Irish Aviation by Capt Aidan Quigley, Neolithic Tombs in Ireland by Eoin Grogan, Yesteryear Mount Merrion by Gerard O'Kelly, Dublin from Old Photographs by Eddie Chandler, a film "Crafts" by David Shaw-Smith, The History of Sound 1977-1977 by Sean Logue, and finished with Wilderness Highway-Skelligs-Forgotten Highway by Siobhan and Art Collins.

The Society continues to hold illustrated talks on a seasonal basis
on the first Thursday of each month from October to May in the Fitzwilliam Rooms, Community Centre, North Avenue, Mount Merrion. In addition, the Society has traditionally arranged an Annual Outing to a location of some local historical note.

In 2011, the Society completed a project to celebrate 300 years since the establishment of Mount Merrion when Richard, 5th Viscount Fitzwilliam build Mount Merrion Lodge on the site of the current Community Centre. See images below where the 2010 image is clearly identifiable with that from 1711.










             Membership

The Society is open to and welcomes all with an interest in local history.


Season:   Oct. 2017 - Sep. 2018

Subscription:
   20.00 individual
                            30.00 per Couple

For Application / Renewal form please
click here to download

Payment and completed form may be forwarded to Hon Secretary.
(see Contacts for address).

Alternatively payment may be made in person while attending the evening lecture programme
.
1711 1934 1936 2010
1711 1934 1936 2010
(c) Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge
(click on an image to enlarge)
Home     About Us     Activities     Local History     Gallery     Contacts